Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ] 

Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:34 pm

I am watching the progress of this product. I expect it will be back ordered once it gets to the public. I have plans for more then just portraits for this light. Keep up the good work.

--Gary--

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:29 pm

I have been curious since hearing about the Einstein line if an Einstein driven ring flash might be in the works. After considering this a little more, I was curious if anyone had ever considered putting a pack and head style flash plug onto a monolight body. Assuming the flash tube and modeling lights are compatible, it would be cool if a Zeus ring flash could me made to fire from an Einstein box. Presumably plugging into the external head plug would just disengage in the onboard modeling light and flash tube sending the energy to the connected external unit.

Pending their release I am strongly considering building out my studio around 4 Einstein units, but it would be great to have ring light at short duration with CT match available to match.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Site Admin

Russell,

Our board manufacturing/stuffing is done by an ISO certified robotic house in Kansas. We are their biggest customer so they are very responsive to our needs. Final assembly and testing/burn-in is mostly done in our facility. Boards have already been redrafted - awaiting my final testing over the next three days. Quick turnaround production boards can be obtained in a week or so - at a price.

My staff won't be working over Christmas - we don't ask this of our employees - just Deb and I.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:40 pm

so the new ones are running about $80 more than the current 640ws lights, with these be available as an option in the packages?

I'm looking at the 4 light system in the near future, and want to make sure I don't buy some thing and it be the old model the day they arrive.

thanks for posting the updated info.

Kevin

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks Luap, I have a pretty good idea of who you are using to do your PCB assembly.

but you guys are paying a pretty large premium to MFG locally, but hey, you are keeping american's employeed so great!

I will be watching the website each day. I plan on order at least 3 lights plus everything else to outfit my new studio I am going to build.

The Ring Flash question below was an interesting one and I would be curious if there is soemthing in the works along those lines...

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:18 am

Site Admin

russellm wrote:
Thanks Luap, I have a pretty good idea of who you are using to do your PCB assembly.

but you guys are paying a pretty large premium to MFG locally, but hey, you are keeping american's employeed so great!

I will be watching the website each day. I plan on order at least 3 lights plus everything else to outfit my new studio I am going to build.

The Ring Flash question below was an interesting one and I would be curious if there is soemthing in the works along those lines...

No secret . . . the board assembly house is S&Y Industries. Before we decided on them, several years ago, we looked at Mexico and found very little price premium for staying in the US. I would never consider China for making our lights . . . far too unreliable and unpredictable.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:34 am

Site Admin

khanley wrote:
so the new ones are running about $80 more than the current 640ws lights, with these be available as an option in the packages?

I'm looking at the 4 light system in the near future, and want to make sure I don't buy some thing and it be the old model the day they arrive.

thanks for posting the updated info.

Kevin

I just did preliminary testing tonight on the debugged pre-production Einstein. Absolutely flawless so far in every regard, and more stable, consistent and accurate than any light I have ever seen at any price - even at 1/256 power. I can safely guarantee there is no monolight in the world, at any price that can come within a mile of it.

We have some programming to do following my testing but it should go into production in the next two weeks or so. This is 100% my design - except for the programming, and I am as pleased as any human can be.

Yes, you can combine Einstein in packages. But honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. An all Einstein system plus Cyber Commander will save many limitations of a mixed system and the guys with the uber expensive Euro lights will be devastated by what Einstein can do in comparison, let alone cost and service. I don't brag often, but I will on this one.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 am

Luap wrote:
I just did preliminary testing tonight on the debugged pre-production Einstein. Absolutely flawless so far in every regard, and more stable, consistent and accurate than any light I have ever seen at any price - even at 1/256 power. I can safely guarantee there is no monolight in the world, at any price that can come within a mile of it.

We have some programming to do following my testing but it should go into production in the next two weeks or so. This is 100% my design - except for the programming, and I am as pleased as any human can be.

Yes, you can combine Einstein in packages. But honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. An all Einstein system plus Cyber Commander will save many limitations of a mixed system and the guys with the uber expensive Euro lights will be devastated by what Einstein can do in comparison, let alone cost and service. I don't brag often, but I will on this one.

That is fantastic! Besides weddings I also shoot hummingbirds. That 1/10000 sec at 64 w-s has me salivating. That's 8 times more powerful then my SB800 at 1/5000 sec. That means I won't have to have the lights as close.

Have a Merry Christmas and I wish you great success.

Gary

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Will there be and upgrade deal like with the other lower models? because that would be awesome.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Site Admin

Sorry, the upgrade of ABs to different power level is an addition of parts to your present light. We really don't take straight trade ins because we are not prepared to sell used equipment or to refurbish them. ABs are pretty easy to sell on eBay at a good price.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ]