Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ] 

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:16 pm

from looking at the photos, it looks like the wireless trigger is built in and all the is needed is the CC on the camera. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions, just making sure I order the correct accessories.

Thanks,

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:20 pm

So Paul, did you get a gigantic chocolate bar from S&Y this year? I know we were looking into doing business with them, and got one last year. It is just kind of a weird thing to receive from a vendor, but we always enjoyed talking to them, our upper management just was not that interested in using someone local, kind of a shame, since we had some inital issues from or China CM. Anyway, hope you eventually get to have your Merry Christmas, and we all look forward to seeing the Einstein, when it is ready.

Last edited by geogecko on Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:23 pm

khanley wrote:
from looking at the photos, it looks like the wireless trigger is built in and all the is needed is the CC on the camera. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions, just making sure I order the correct accessories.

Thanks,

It's not actually built in, you have to buy the module ($30) that slides into a slot on top of the light. It looks like it has a nice integrated look to it, which is probably why most people think it is built-in.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 pm

So you really only need one of the $30 modules to trigger a light, I'm guessing these also have the flash sensor built in.

I didn't see any $30 trigger on the site do you know what the item number is?

Thanks,

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Site Admin

geogecko wrote:
So Paul, did you get a gigantic chocolate bar from S&Y this year? I know we were looking into doing business with them, and got one last year. It is just kind of a weird thing to receive from a vendor, but we always enjoyed talking to them, our upper management just was not that interested in using someone local, kind of a shame, since we had some inital issues from or China CM. Anyway, hope you eventually get to have your Merry Christmas, and we all look forward to seeing the Einstein, when it is ready.

Yes - got giant chocolate every year for the past five or so years. They are a solid vendor and we visit there regularly. Forget most of China for electronics - very unreliable and sloppy, and they make changes without telling you.

Prior to S&Y we were stuffing boards in house - through hole. Surface mount and robotic assembly really helps with quality control and accuracy. Because of some of our big components, they have to combine SMT and through hole on their line. They do it well.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Site Admin

khanley wrote:
So you really only need one of the $30 modules to trigger a light, I'm guessing these also have the flash sensor built in.

I didn't see any $30 trigger on the site do you know what the item number is?

Thanks,

You have to have the transceiver to use CyberSync/Cyber Commander. You can fire the iights via the slave or sync input but you're missing 2/3 of the system if you don't use the transceiver.

We do it as an inexpensive plug in because I hate the thought of building the transceiver in. If rf link improvements come down the pick I don't want a bunch of obsolete lights out there like some competitors have right now.

All of this stuff should be on line right after New Years day, with complete details pictures, pre-orders and delivery dates. I know for sure as of yesterday's testing that Einstein works fantastically.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:56 pm

I'll probably call next week and see what I can get on order prior to 31 dec, it's a tax thing.

thanks for all the info.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Site Admin

khanley wrote:
I'll probably call next week and see what I can get on order prior to 31 dec, it's a tax thing.

thanks for all the info.

A couple of issues: First, we never charge a credit card until we're ready to ship. Next, I believe IRS rules consider the date you pay the credit card for taxes rather than the day you charge it unless you are a business on accrual based accounting. Of course you could use the Tim Geithner method of tax filing.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:07 am

Quote:
Yes - got giant chocolate every year for the past five or so years. They are a solid vendor and we visit there regularly. Forget most of China for electronics - very unreliable and sloppy, and they make changes without telling you.

Things are not that bad these days :)

I lived in Shanghai for 2 years so I know a bit about how things work.

It all works out, since your timing of going to mass production would have been horrible if your MFG were in China. Since Chinese New Year is Feb 14th and things shutdown for a week. Not to mention ~10% of the workforce never returns to the factories after Chinese New Year...

Russell

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:20 am

Luap, Is there anyway to pre-order this? or is there a mailing list that we can be on when they get shipped? I'd like to try one or two out. I recently just purchased 3 AB's from you guys. And to be honest I really like the new features. You guys have done an awesome job.

Thanks again,

Casey

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ]