Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ] 

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Site Admin

khanley wrote:
I called your sales people today, thier only suggestion was to buy 1600's and just return them soon as the einstiens are orderable, not the greatest problem solving skills.

Having a slight bit of integrity, I can't do this. So in the end very hard to spend money with your company.

OH well,

You can do this without guilt. Eventually we may have to sell refurbished ABs because of people doing this, but that's OK.

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:02 am

:o How many company CEOs would make that suggestion?
Steve Job's company let's customers return product, charges them a 15% restocking fee and then sells the refurbished product at a 15% discount. (Great way to buy a Mac.)

I have 5 AB800s and an ABR800 so I can impatiently wait for the Es.

If they are even close to what I have read here and other places they will revolutionize the marketplace.

I can't wait to try them with my PLMs.

But, a CEO who is willing to sell product and then take it back to replace it with newly designed product, that has to be unique in the photographic industry and probably everywhere.

The fora are full of threads talking about how light A has a better quality than light B or C, etc.

When the Es are finally in my hands I think I may rent the "popular" "pro" brands and do a "blind" test to see if people can really tell the difference.

I have a suspicion, that through the same modifier all the lights will look very much alike.

I did a test with my AB800s and Quantum QFlashes into a PLM 86" silver and the modifer was the story not the light source. It would probably be the same if I used an Elinchrom or Propoto etc.

I started taking pictures professionally in the late 60s and it has always seemed to me that a picture is the result of knowing what to do with the light source not its manufacturer.

But back to PCB's (or LCF's) commitment to update, THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE IN ALL CAPS !!

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:41 am

I got an email yesterday from customer service that found a solution that allows me to purchase what I would like to order, without having to ship you back new units inside your 60 day window.

Never having owned any studio equipment, I really look forward to learning with the AB equipment.

thanks for taking the time to deal with someone new to the lighting world.

have a happy new year.

thanks,

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:55 am

Mr. Buff,

Thanks for all of the updates. One of these lights will be my first foray into the studio lighting realm.

One thought came to mind as I read the discussion above about people really needing to put these on this tax year:

Would you consider accepting pre-orders via postal mail with payment by check? (I think) This should allow people to book their purchases on this tax year. The lead time to shipment should theoretically allow plenty of time for the checks to clear the bank. I know you don't typically charge a CC until you ship, but I'm sure the people that really NEED this on this year's book of business wouldn't mind if you don't.

Just an idea I had. I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to run your business.

Hope you have a Very Happy New Year!

Cheers,
pjordan

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:23 pm

I am just wondering, will the Einsteins be compatable, as far as color temps, with other PCB lights when used in "Color" mode? Or would it be wise to use all Einsteins in a group for this mode?
This is not really a tech question but more for curiosity.
Which PCB site will the Einsteins be sold from?

RMS

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Jaddie wrote:
stilllearning wrote:
That is fantastic! Besides weddings I also shoot hummingbirds. That 1/10000 sec at 64 w-s has me salivating. That's 8 times more powerful then my SB800 at 1/5000 sec. That means I won't have to have the lights as close.

Dear Gary

That's interesting. I've never thought about using a studio strobe for photographing hummers.

--Jaddie

I thought about it 3 years ago when my studio flashes were gathering dust in the closet. I didn't want to sell them but still wanted to use them for something. Unfortunately ther T.1 flash duration is only around 1/300 to 1/550. I used portable flashes instead for freezing HB in flight. The lighting of at least 2 lights looked much better then 1. I had used 3 lights which was a slight improvement over 2. One light can do it but tends to look too much like a deer in headlights look. :) I tried adding a cheap flash with Optical slave but I got ghosting from the cheap flash.

I want to start with one E640 and see if it works well with the SB800s and eventually work up to 3 E640s w/o the SB800s. I would look forward to trying out light modfiers and see the result. Having HB all year round at my home is helpful. 2 to 3 species during winter and summer and 4 or 5 during migrations. Being able to place the lights farther from the single feeders will be a big plus as not to scare off the juveniles. The adults get used to them quickly.

BTW I started using my strobes again for weddings and some senior portraits. Instead of continuing to support my old lights I am looking to switch to Einsteins in the future. Probably will give my old lights to my older brother.

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Site Admin

rms956 wrote:
I am just wondering, will the Einsteins be compatable, as far as color temps, with other PCB lights when used in "Color" mode? Or would it be wise to use all Einsteins in a group for this mode?
This is not really a tech question but more for curiosity.
Which PCB site will the Einsteins be sold from?

RMS

Yes, they will be color compatible with AB and WL. But as you drop the power on AB/WL (or Elinchrom or anything else) the color will warm by 75-80° per f stop of power reduction and the Einsteins won't. So, long term, there is nothing better than all Einsteins. Much easier interface with Cyber Commander too. Einstein will be on the paulcbuff.com site, but will links to AB and WL sites. These are all in the process of being combined as one common site - paulcbuff.com.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks, I am very exited about these lights, smaller lighter than my x1600's, the dome to cover the flash and modeling light, shorter flash duration, more consistent color....

I also like the idea of going wireless with your triggers and receivers but wondered if you would/could produce a transmitter for Sekonic meters (I know I could get the Cyber Commander but its more than I need and I am rather set in my ways :) )

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Site Admin

Sekonic and Pocket Wizard are distributed in the US by the same company, and therefor have a close relationship. Either the CyberCommander or CST can be connected via the PC terminal to the Sekonic. ($59.95 for a CST or $50 or more for a module, the price is close).

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Thank you very much for your answer.

Money is not the issue, I am kinda stuck in my ways and cant see having a receiver dangle from my meter either.

I would gladly spend $75 to make my meter compatible with your system, would such a chip not be legal or something? I dont know a thing about how different companies protect there tech or the legalities of making one product compatible with another so sorry if this is a silly question.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ]