Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Topic locked  [ 31 posts ] 

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Site Admin

Attention Einstein Customers:

Current Einstein units are shipping with Version 22 Firmware. For our customers who have previous versions, we are now offering a downloadable firmware update. Please follow the directions below to upgrade your Einstein.

Einstein™ Firmware Update Instructions
Version 22 Firmware Update

for the Paul C. Buff, Inc.™ Einstein™ 640 Flash Unit

This firmware update is for Einstein™ 640 Flash Units with version 19 or 20 firmware. Einstein™ units with version 22 firmware will not require this update. To determine which firmware your Einstein™ unit has, please refer to the following:

- Einstein™ units with serial numbers E64001000 - E64001114 shipped with v.19
- Einstein™ units with serial numbers E64001115 - E64001812 shipped with v.20
- Einstein™ units with serial numbers E64001813 or higher shipped with v.22 (no update required)

When the unit is powered on, the firmware version will flash on the bottom of the screen for approximately 2 seconds. The firmware version can also be found on the diagnostics screen in the lower left corner.

About This Firmware Version 22 Update:
This firmware download updates all Einstein™ units with serial numbers E64001000 through E64001812, having firmware version 19 or 20. Firmware version 22 updates the following:

From version 20:
- The new firmware increases the Pump Temperature reading at which the light shuts off from 60°C to 105°C, increasing the time before thermal shutdown.
- The new firmware includes a cosmetic change to the diagnostics screen.

From version 19 (in addition to the updates above):
- The new firmware corrects an issue where the light may double fire when a triggering cord is connected in the 1/8” sync jack.

*** To perform this update you will need a memory card reader capable of accepting MicroSD cards OR a MicroSD to SD card adapter and card reader capable of accepting SD cards.

*** Additionally, you will need a new or formatted (FAT16) MicroSD card (2GB or less) to install this firmware update.

PC Einstein Firmware Download Instructions

1. Download and save the new firmware to your hard drive:
A. Click here to download the firmware update.
B. Save the file “E640-v22” to your hard drive, we recommend to the desktop.

2. Copy the firmware version 22 onto the new MicroSD card:
A. Insert the MicroSD card into the card reader.
B. Navigate to the MicroSD card drive, and click to open.
C. Keeping the MicroSD card window open, click on “E640-v22” file on the hard drive (desktop).
D. In the new window, you will see a folder titled “PCBUFF”.
E. Click and drag the “PCBUFF” folder you downloaded to the MicroSD card, unzipping if necessary.

3. Update the Einstein™ firmware using the MicroSD card:
A. Disconnect the power cord from the light.
B. Insert the card with preloaded firmware into the light, gold contacts first and facing the rear panel. The card must be inserted at a 90º angle. Press until you hear a click.
C. Plug in the power cord.
D. The unit’s screen will go solid white and begin to flicker quickly, then more slowly, for about 25-30 seconds.
E. Once the flickering has stopped, remove the card by pressing in and letting it pop up.
F. Power on the light.
G. As the unit reboots, “SW-01730 Ver22” should appear on the screen.
H. Repeat this for each light that requires the update.
I. Be sure to remove the card from the light after the update. Leaving the card in place in the unit will not damage the unit, but each time that the unit is powered on, the system will repeat the firmware update process.

Mac Einstein Firmware Download Instructions

1. Download and save the new firmware to your hard drive:
A. Click here to download the firmware update.
B. Save the file "E640-v22" to your hard drive. If you have the option to choose a location, we recommend saving the file to your desktop.
C. Locate the saved "E640-v22.zip" zipped file on your desktop or in your downloads folder. Double-click the file to unzip, revealing the "PCBUFF" folder.

Note for Safari Users:

If you DO NOT see the "E640-v22.zip" zip file on your desktop or in your downloads folder, look for a folder titled "PCBUFF" or "EINSTEIN." As the file “E640-v22” is a zipped folder, certain Safari browser versions are set by default to automatically unzip it. Due to this setting, when you go to locate the "E640-v22" file, it may have already been unzipped to the next folder in the directory path named "PCBUFF". Additionally some versions of Safari may further unzip to the "EINSTEIN" subfolder.

- If Safari has unzipped the file to the "PCBUFF" folder, no further action is needed. This is the folder that you will click and drag to the MicroSD card in Step 2 below.

- If Safari has unzipped the file to the "EINSTEIN" folder, you will need to create a new folder for it. To create a new folder, choose “New Folder” from the Finder menu. Name the folder "PCBUFF" (in all caps, without the quotation marks). Place the "EINSTEIN" folder inside the newly created "PCBUFF" folder. Move on to Step 2 (below) as normal.

2. Copy the firmware version 22 onto the new MicroSD card:
A. Insert the MicroSD card into the card reader.
B. Navigate to the MicroSD card drive, and click to open.
C. Keeping the MicroSD card window open, click and drag the "PCBUFF" folder you downloaded to the MicroSD card.
D. Eject your MicroSD card from your computer.

3. Update the Einstein™ firmware using the MicroSD card:
A. Disconnect the power cord from the light.
B. Insert the card with preloaded firmware into the light, gold contacts first and facing the rear panel. The card must be inserted at a 90º angle. Press down until you hear a click.
C. Plug in the power cord.
D. The unit’s screen will go solid white and begin to flicker quickly, then more slowly, for about 25-30 seconds.
E. Once the flickering has stopped, remove the card by pressing in and letting it pop up.
F. Power on the light.
G. As the unit reboots, “SW-0173 Ver22” should appear on the screen.

Updating additional Einstein™ units.
If you have additional Einstein™ units to update, follow these steps for each additional unit.

A. Place the MicroSD card back into the card reader.
B. Navigate to the MicroSD card drive and click to open.
C. Keeping the MicroSD card window open, click and drag the "PCBUFF" folder (the same downloaded folder that you clicked and dragged before) to the MicroSD card. When you drag the folder to the MicroSD card, you will be prompted with a message stating that there is already an item named “PCBUFF” in this location. Click “Replace.”
D. Follow Step 3 (above) to update the firmware on the Einstein™ unit using the MicroSD card.

If you have any questions regarding this firmware update or your Einstein™ unit, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-443-5542. We’re here Monday through Friday, from 9:00am to 5:00pm, CST.

Last edited by Technical Support on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Updated instructions to provide better support for Mac users.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Performed Firmware Update on 4 Einsteins. No issues at all. Went smoothly and just as described.

Top Top

#

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Easy update. A little over 5 minutes to update 3 'steins.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:08 pm

So, the instructions say that the screen will go white when you plug in the power cord - without pressing the power switch.

Mine does nothing. Appreciate any help.

Paul

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Site Admin

Paul,
First, try reloading the firmware onto the card. Be sure the "PCBUFF" folder is what you put on the card, and not just one of the inner folders. This is my first suspicion. Also, be sure when loading the firmware on the card, the card is formatted.

If that does not work, with the card in, power the light on. Press the function button until you reach the diagnostics screen. use the down arrow to highlight "BOOTLOAD".

[bear with me as I do not have access to an Einstein until Monday, so i am working from memory]. Either "TEST" or "Function" will enter you into the bootload screen. Use the arrow down button to highlight the firmware file (there should only be one, and it should reference v.22). Again, either "TEST" or "Fuction" will activate the update (not necessarily the same button as before). The blinking should begin, and i think the light will be "ON" when update finalizes.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 pm

I verified that the pcbuff folder was on the card but apparently cannot be read by the strobe.

I'll call Monday. Thanks for your help.

Paul

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Wondering if having copied the folder to sd card on a mac has anything to do with it?

Paul

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:58 pm

I also have trouble seeing the necessary folder using a MAC. Called tech support and they walked me through another way of doing it.

Took one light three times to 'see' the firmware update but eventually it did work.

Also had trouble with a microSD card getting stuck in one of the lights. After an hour and using two very small screwdrivers I was able to get it out. Seems it was getting caught on one of the corners of the slot upon ejection.

Now I can use my lights for the first time.

I will say tech support was awesome!

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:43 pm

Isn't talking to real live people who know what they're doing grand?

One of the reasons I'm going with the Einstein.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:07 pm

okay - used the memory card you provided - same problem.

paul

Top Top

Topic locked  [ 31 posts ]