Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Topic locked  [ 31 posts ] 

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:38 am

Can a new Micro SD card be formatted to FAT16 in the CC, then delete all the files and download and transfer the latest Einstein firmware to the empty card?

RMS

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Site Admin

I did successfully format a card in the CC and then update the Einstein using both a Mac and PC. Ideally, however, the card would be formatted in a computer.

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Technical Support wrote:
try redownloading the firmware onto your computer, then to the card and try again. Make sure this is the only thing on the card, and the card is formatted to FAT/FAT 16 and not FAT32.

Same problem still.. nothing happens when I plug in the power cord.. However it can clearly read the card and file when I navigate the menu.. and when tried upgrade manually using the "test" button, there is a message of creating something, then immediately a longer message flashes for less than 0.5s so I can't read it.. and the einstein "reboots" just like powering up again immediately.

-M

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:00 am

Site Admin

Are you running Mac or PC? Also, if you put the card into the computer, is the file path PCBUFF>Einstein>Configs, Firmware and Load? If any one of those folders is missing, the update will not work. Also, make sure there is a file (the same file actually) in both the Load folder and Firmware folder.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 am

Technical Support wrote:
Are you running Mac or PC? Also, if you put the card into the computer, is the file path PCBUFF>Einstein>Configs, Firmware and Load? If any one of those folders is missing, the update will not work. Also, make sure there is a file (the same file actually) in both the Load folder and Firmware folder.

I am on a PC, card formatted using Vista 64. And I checked all the files/directory structure are there exactly the same as in the ZIP file. I will try formatting it with XP tonight and see what happens.

-M

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 pm

I bought a new Transend 2G MicroSD card and it worked..

The card that doesn't is a Kingston 1G, just in case someone has the same problem again.

- M

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:35 pm

I just wanted to let everybody know that my issue previously posted about (my lights going bang in a cloud of smoke) was due to the heat issue that is currently being looked at where the modeling light, if on full power for a long period of time and with the light pointed down, can cause the unit to over heat. I was shooting with the main light on a boom above camera position angled down with the modeling (and flash) at full power the shoot was over several hours.

The firmware update had nothing to do with the overheating as one of the lights that went was on the old firmware.

Just thought some might like to know that the issue was unrelated to the firmware.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:15 am

Site Admin

I have completely solved this heat issue but it will take about six weeks to get it in production. Same for PW full range and all 240V issues. All Einstein owners will qualify for free upgrade when these are available - might even get a little accessory gift card or something for their trouble. Also, you're buying a $499.95 product (price increase soon), for $439.95.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 am

That is wonderful! Congrats for you and your team.

Will we, -who have not received our preordered EINSTEINs yet- have to pay the price-hike on our shipments?

Best regards.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 am

Site Admin

as long as you have an order placed for the lower price, we will honor that price.

Top Top

Topic locked  [ 31 posts ]