Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 65 posts ] 

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 pm

There are now several flash units coming out of China that offer a generic version of HSS.
They have a specific setting that configures the flash to do FP sync and extends the flash duration doing some form of rapid cycling.

They all allude to having IGBT power control.

It would seem that similar capabilities are well within the realm of E640 firmware extension.

One version, built by Godox, is being offered in the US by Cheetah Stand. It works. I've been doing some testing for them with a Canon 5DIII. The problem was that their trigger would does not support the 2012 Canon cameras.

However, with a YN-622c trigger it works without fail.

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 am

It would definitely be a feather in PCB's cap if they did support HSS/FP mode through a firmware release. It would be an industry first for a studio light.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am

I ran some tests using the Einstein E640 with the PowerMC2 interface yesterday. PocketWizard has released new firmware that purportedly improves studio light performance when using their Hypersync technology.

I set the PowerMC2 to Highest Energy (not Reduced Clipping) and my MiniTT1/FlexFF5 to Disable FP/HSS, use Hypersync only. With these settings (and the E640 set to Full Power and color mode), you get really good results.

At 1/125 shutter speed, 100 ISO, 14' away using the 8.5" reflector I read f/22 with my flashmeter and got a great exposure with that setting on my D800e. At 1/8000 shutter speed, I adjusted my aperture to f/8 100 ISO at 14' to get the same exposure. Very usable power to subject.

I did get clipping at the bottom of the frame and this is to be expected with the Highest Energy setting, however it was consistent and more importantly, the exposure was fairly even across the frame. This bar can easily be cropped out in Lightroom with one crop and synced the action to all the other images. When you shot in vertical (portrait) orientation, the clipping is on the side and you get a very even light across your subject. Perfect lighting!

I then put my D800e in the DX mode. I got no clipping and got a very good and usable exposure at 1/8000 s, f/8, 100 ISO at 14'. Very promising.

Of course the strobe is now a continuous light source and as such, not usable for stop motion. But very useful for fill flash applications using large light modifiers on the E640 in bright sunlight photo sessions.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:57 am

Good morning guys! I'm from Brazil and I and my friend bought 2 units of 640W Einsteins and we are really very happy because here there is nothing like ...
But the difficulty is that we try just about HyperSync, as we used the SB900 only pulled in PW and it worked until 1/8000 quietly, but do not know if something is missing, or configuration to achieve using Einstein in this way too.
We searched a lot here but I could not have any information about what we need to do, my question is as follows:
We are using a D7000 and D600, with the TT1 and Mc2 Einstein, but the photos are coming out with a black belt in the photo at speeds greater than 1/250, have tried various settings but without success PW, saw that many people use the AC3 not yet bought the AC3, but wanted to know if he is going to run the Einstein Hypersync in TTL at high speeds like 1/8000 and as large apertures f2.8 (as well as the Sb's) or need to do some configuration that we are not aware ...
Sorry for writing but I'm using the translator ... :D
We look forward to see Einstein in action!

Thank you, and we'll be waiting for a help from you!

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am

Site Admin

HyperSync is a hack, of sorts, that relies on a long flash duration in order for the shutter to open and close during the flash pulse. Einstein only has a longish flash duration at full power. Anything lower than that will yield a short flash duration that will not be long enough for HyperSync.

Detailed information on HyperSync would need to come from PocketWizard.

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 am

Monteiro_CWB wrote:
We searched a lot here but I could not have any information about what we need to do, my question is as follows:
We are using a D7000 and D600, with the TT1 and Mc2 Einstein, but the photos are coming out with a black belt in the photo at speeds greater than 1/250, have tried various settings but without success PW, saw that many people use the AC3 not yet bought the AC3, but wanted to know if he is going to run the Einstein Hypersync in TTL at high speeds like 1/8000 and as large apertures f2.8 (as well as the Sb's) or need to do some configuration that we are not aware ...

Thank you, and we'll be waiting for a help from you!

I explained how to do this with the post above yours, but understand the difficulty in language translations.

Using PocketWizards Utility:
Set the PowerMC2 to Highest Energy (not Reduced Clipping) and my MiniTT1/FlexFF5 to Disable FP/HSS, use Hypersync only. With these settings (and the E640 set to Full Power and color mode), you get really good results.

You will get a band, it you shot on portrait, it will be on the side and easily cropped out. The important thing is your exposure is fairly consent over the rest of the frame.

I suggest to set your D600 to DX format and you should have have a clean image (I do on the D800e). You will most likely will have a band with the D7000, since it is already DX format and your shutter travels over a smaller area already, but if needed, just compose your image so you can crop out the black bar in post.

Hypersync is a hack, but it is usable with the power the Einstein puts out. IMO, it is not with a low power Speedlight.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 am

pspentax wrote:
One with Einsten and the Pocketwizards

Canon 5D at ISO160 f2.8 1/3200 :D :D :D

Hello
can you please tell me how can i take a photo like this ?
my camera is nikon d600, einstein e640 & cybercomander.
when i try it & by increasing my camera speed to 1/320 , 1/640 , ... there is a black area in the picture,
thanks

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi,

The first thing is to get the PocketWizard TT1/TT5 plus the MC2 or Pixel King or in alternative some
chinese Highspeed sync wireless trigger.
Next put Einstein at full power, because is only at that power that it will work.
It this pdf you will see the results for the D800 it will be similar to the D600.
http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/images/7/7 ... _Ver11.pdf

Regards,
Pedro

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Site Admin

shetab wrote:
when i try it & by increasing my camera speed to 1/320 , 1/640 , ... there is a black area in the picture,
thanks

Short of buying new remotes, you can also use a neutral density filter. Assuming the ambient light levels are "sunny 16" brightness, set your camera to ISO Lo1 (ISO50) and shutter speed to 1/250. Then you can use a 3 stop neutral density filter to drop the aperture down to 2.8, and use what ever flash power you want.

Also, this image is in the portrait orientation. You can cheat sync speed in an image like this by placing the black area over the areas not lit by flash. In this example, the sunset will still appear as it would without flash, then by placing the girl to the side opposite the dark band, she is exposed as expected.

There is a good video here, about 1/3 of the way down titled "Great video on overclocking your sync speed" http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:26 pm

Technical Support wrote:
shetab wrote:
thanks

Short of buying new remotes, you can also use a neutral density filter. Assuming the ambient light levels are "sunny 16" brightness, set your camera to ISO Lo1 (ISO50) and shutter speed to 1/250. Then you can use a 3 stop neutral density filter to drop the aperture down to 2.8, and use what ever flash power you want.

Also, this image is in the portrait orientation. You can cheat sync speed in an image like this by placing the black area over the areas not lit by flash. In this example, the sunset will still appear as it would without flash, then by placing the girl to the side opposite the dark band, she is exposed as expected.

There is a good video here, about 1/3 of the way down titled "Great video on overclocking your sync speed" http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

so, it's not any way to access 1/320 or 1/640 ... by PCB accessories ?
Thanks

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 65 posts ]