Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:03 am

I tried to search for videos & tried a ton of links. I can't get the moon unit to attach to the outisde of the light for anything! What is the trick? Help please.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:34 am

i can get it on but everytime i try to lock it it presses up against the plastic of the moon unit there's no hole for the lock to go through. do i have to make my own hole?

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:08 am

Site Admin

First make sure the moon unit is installed on the speedring correctly. Imagine the moon unit as a bowl. The part of the speedring that actually makes contact with the ringflash should be inside the bowl, not protruding from under/behind it. The result of this positions the moon unit fabric closest to the ringflash behind the flash tubes.

Also, be sure the speedring is free of any plastic burrs on the inside diameter. Occasionally, there will be some left over from the mold. We do check these before they leave, but there could still be some that have excess plastic. If they are there, there may be three, evenly spaced.

Once every thing is correct and ready to mount, the speedring slides on and rotates. Rotate the speedring a few degrees and lock it in place. There is not a hole the locking pin goes into. Instead, it just restricts how far the speedring rotates. If it cannot rotate, it cannot come off (if installed properly).

It may be easier to practice installing the moon unit speedring before the moon unit is installed to get a feel of how it goes on.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am

thx for the quick reply. i'll try your suggestions.

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:40 pm

I too am having this problem with the ARB and Moon Unit received last week. It took over 30 minutes for the moon unit speedring to successfully be put on the ARB. I finally took the moonunit off the speedring, as the speedring had to be forced to fit. Once on, it is almost impossible to rotate. I checked for the mold tabs you mentioned, but do not see any. However I see the ARB is leaving scratches on the inside of the speedring. I think the speedring is just too small of a diameter, as the ARB reflector fits just fine.

How can I get a better fitting speedring?

Jim Watkins

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Site Admin

Jim,
Contact customer service and explain what is going on. They should be able to replace the speed ring for you.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]