Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 19 posts ] 

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm

I have ordered a new Einstein flash because I am shooting my first formal wedding soon. After purchasing a new Nikon D700 and added the 24-70mm 2.8 to my 70-200mm 2.8, I am more than broke, but I know there are still a few things I will probably need to do the best job possible. I have a few questions that I haven't found the answer to yet. If someone can answer my questions or can post links to other forum topics that will answer my questions, great. I thank you in advance.

1: Since the Einstein doesn't come with even a basic reflector of any kind, do I really need one to light up a reception hall?
2: Can I use the Einstein with the frosted dome to do the job? Or should it be bare bulb, with a reflector, a softbox, umbrella, etc??
3: If I need a reflector, I know PCB recommends the 8.5" High Output Reflector. Is that the best thing for my needs and general use?
4: What about for portraits?
5: Are umbrellas better to shoot a wedding reception? Would I be best served using a reflecting umbrella or shoot through. It will be indoors. The actual wedding shots will all be outdoors in L.A., so I don't anticipate needing the studio light then and can use my on camera flash for fill if needed.

I will leave my questions at that for now. Again, any help that can be provided or links to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Caveat Emptor: I have not shot a wedding. However I have used the Einsteins and a large variety of modifers.

The Einstein should be used with the frosted glass dome in place, in my opinion.

You will want to use some sort of modifier. Are you mixing your Einstein with a speed light or two, or will your Einstein be your sole source of light?

For the wedding party, I would consider a 60 inch reflective umbrella and a tall lightstand. (if they are standing near the altar, and you are two stairs down on the main floor, you will need a taller stand to get the umbrella up high enough). Sandbags are worth considering.

I would actually consider the 64 in white PLM with the reflective outer cover--using the umbrella in reflective mode, unfocused.

Whatever you do, you will want to test test test and practice practice practice since you have a new camera, new lens, and new lighting/modifiers. Take a couple of friends to the church at off hours, scope it, and then have them stand in for test shots. Spread them apart to simulate the outer areas of the wedding party grouping, and make sure your lighting is good there, too.

I don't see using softboxes in this situation. I would expect the 8.5 reflector will not be suitable for lighting a large group, and the light would be a bit harsh.

Do you have a second shooter? Will you be moving around the reception with a speed light? Or are you planning to use the Einstein to light the entire reception??

No doubt some experienced wedding folks will chime in, here, too. If you have enough time before the wedding, watch some specialized wedding shoot videos for training, get a couple of books on the subject, prepare your checklists (gear, shots to get, questions to ask), scout the venues, do a lot of test shots.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:49 pm

@BDP,

Thank you for all your time in writing that reply and giving me some ideas. They are all great for most "weddings" I'm sure, but this first wedding is in an LDS (Mormon) Temple and there is no photography allowed inside or during the ceremony. I will be able to take photos outside afterward, and any advice for that would be greatly appreciated. The reception is going to be in the cultural hall (gym) of a church with pretty high ceilings. The wedding party isn't that big. Bride, Groom, and three or four Bridesmaids/Groomsman on each side and moms and dads, etc.

Right now, I have, or will have as soon as my Einstein gets here, a D700, D200, 24-70, 70-200, SB600, the Einstein and two Pocket Wizard transceivers. Will borrow a macro from a friend for closeups of the rings, etc. I am not sure how I am going to use everything but the cameras and lenses, so I obviously need some help with lighting. But because of the investment I just made, I can't do any more except for a light stand and umbrella or reflector of some sort since I am doing this wedding at no charge for my portfolio. I got the Einstein because I don't want to worry about changing batteries constantly in my SB600 and hope to do some nice portrait work in the future.

You said: "I would actually consider the 64 in white PLM with the reflective outer cover--using the umbrella in reflective mode, unfocused."

You say to get the 64" White PLM with the "reflective outer cover", and use it in reflective mode. That seems to me the light of the Einstein would be pointed at the outside "dome" of the umbrella, but that doesn't seem possible. I realize I am sounding dense, and anyone reading this is feeling sorry for the bride and groom, but I want to figure this out.

Thanks again.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm

The white PLM is nylon, and can be used as either shoot thru or reflective. However, if you add the black outer cover on the umbrella (the cover is silver lined), then the reflective light is somewhat more efficient, and you are not lighting thru the umbrella in the opposite direction of your subject.

The concept is similar to "convertible" umbrellas, which allow you to use an umbrella as a reflective or shoot thru.

The light stays on the same (shaft) side of the umbrella whichever way you use the umbrella. If shoot thru, you point the outer side of the umbrella toward your subject. If reflective, the shaft side of the umbrella is pointed toward your subject.

The PLMs offer both the outer cover to block the "shoot thru" if you wish, and also a front diffusion cover so that they can be more like a softbox. The PLM system is pretty versatile.

The Einstein was a super choice. Either a PLM or convertible umbrella will work well for your wedding reception shots and support future portraiture work also.

You can see all the PLM options on the Paul Buff site (obviously), and you can search B&H for umbrellas, shoot thru, 60 inch, and convertible to see the other options. I think bang for the buck between a convertible umbrella and a PLM is worth looking at. A convertible umbrella will switch between shoot thru and reflective. A PLM with outer cover will do that, and you can add the diffusion cover in the future if you want.

For the wedding reception I might do a White 64 PLM with the add on black outer cover, shoot it "reflective" and not "shoot thru". But you'll still have a shoot thru option for future portraits, and you get the focused or unfocused parabolic light option that is not available with a standard umbrella.

There are slightly less expensive umbrella options out there, of course. The PLMs can grow with you, and provide more options.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 am

My 2 cents....

Don't be too quick to abandon your SB-600 for reception shots. Your D700 is perfectly capable of capturing great images at ISO 800 (or even higher), which takes a lot of strain off of your speedlight. These higher ISO's even open up options for bouncing off of walls, ceilings, mirrors, table cloths, white shirts, etc. Speedlights have their limitations, but they're hard to beat in dynamic situations like receptions where you don't have time to re-meter between shots. I have always gotten at least 200 shots out of a set of AA rechargeables in my SB-900's.

Pictures during the ceremony can ruin your day since there are no re-takes, so it's great that you won't face that kind of pressure during your first solo wedding. That really does take a lot of stress out of the equation.

Studio lights are the ticket for formals, but can be difficult and risky to use in many reception venues.

Be aware that you can shoot an entire wedding with your D700 and 24-70 lens. This makes life easier, and you would be in good company with some hi-dollar photog's that do nearly everything with these short zooms. Since this is your first event, why not make it as simple as possible?

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:06 am

Site Admin

How high and what color is the ceiling? If white and reasonably low, you may be able to bounce the Einstein off the ceiling (albeit at a highish ISO, but as pointed out, that camera can do that easily). This will give you effectively a brighter ambient light, evenly lighting the whole venue brighter than real ambient light. You can then use the SB as fill to overcome "racoon eyes" obtained by overhead light.

Using one light source on one end of a room will yeild those 1/4 of the room away light source bright, those in the middle 2 stops lower, and those on the far end 2 more stops lower (and those closer to the light even brighter). Feathering the light will help, though you will still have shadows opposite the umbrella.

If bounced, everyone is at a similar distance to the light source (ceiling), and will be fairly evenly lit. You may wish to use an 8" or 11" reflector (depending on the height. This will make more light reach the ceiling and less out the sides).

You do not have to have the camera expose "properly" on the E640. You can have a lower exposure by adjusting aperture or ISO, and let the SB auto expose for the subjects. Keep in mind, you may have to dial in -EV for the SB, as it cannot calculate light coming from the E640.

This may or may not be the look you want, so take it for what it is (an option). If you have a dance floor, and only want the dance floor lit, a bounce umbrella high and aimed to it will be a good choice. There are lots of variables and tastes, so no one can tell you exactly what to do, only make suggestions.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm sorry that it's been so long since I have been on here, but I wanted to thank everyone for the great advice given so far. With that said, I have two questions:

One: I have read in several places that the customer service at this company is second to none. Is that a thing of the past, or is it still true today? I ask because, when I placed my order for my Einstein and a Vagabond Mini, I explicitly stated that I had to have these items no later than the end of the 1st week in March. The only reply I got was they would try their best, but can't make any guarantees. Typically, I would be good with that, and was for a few days, but I emailed customer service again, asking them to either guarantee it or tell me they can't, that I will need to cancel my order and buy something else someplace else, and I can't even get a simple response. Or is it too much to expect an answer in 30 hours?(I ask that sincerely.) That does not scream great customer service to me. I really hope they can get the Einstein to me as I have read nothing but great reviews of it. But if a customer specifically says they need to KNOW one way or the other NOW, any company should answer quickly, right?

Two: Does anyone know what the guide number is on the Einstein.......in feet? I can't find it anywhere, and I have been told by a very successful wedding photographer and instructor that the guide number is really the important "stat" when looking at lighting. After another quick look at the specifications of the Einstein, I still don't see anything about a guide number, but did pay much closer attention to the size of the unit itself. It's SO tiny. I mean, it's shorter in length without the lamps than my hand. Which leads to another question: How can something so small put out enough light, in comparison to all the other studio lights I have seen elsewhere?

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I will be studying everything I can, including your replies here the next month and a half.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 am

Customer Service here IS terrific. Note that you are ordering two items on backorder, in mid-Feb, needing them the first week of March.... There are people on a waiting list for both those items, last I heard. So Customer Service was being Honest with you. Rather than have you learn the first week of March, they are telling you at the time of ordering, and again when you queried, that if you Really Need them at that time, you should order something else, even if that means PCB loses the order. That is a class act, in my opinion.

If you really need lighting in hand the first week of March, well, then you have been made aware by Customer Service that those two items might not meet that need.

Do you need the vagabond? Will you not have ac power access at the reception hall? Maybe you can get extension cords in the meantime. You could, alternately, order an AB800 and get it real fast. And you could check on rental gear if you can't receive what you want to actually end up owning in time for the event.

You can do a search on guide numbers here in the forums. Guide number is a complex, potentially misleading piece of information if you are not deeply familiar with it, how it is calculated, and the fact that one light vs another's guide number can be meaningless, in some cases, as the modifiers (reflector) are not addressed.

Since you have an urgent need, I would order an AB800 asap. Any modifiers you get for it will also work with an eventual Einstein purchase later on. You need to get your hands on your new gear so you can practice with it. And the AB800 is a great product. Not as fully featured or advanced as the Einstein, but a reliable, quality product.

If you choose to rent, rent SOON to practice with the gear, and be sure you have the SAME gear reserved and available for the event. For the price of rental, I bet you could simply just buy and own the AB800, though, or close to it.

Good luck to you.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:09 am

I have had the best customer service here from any company I have done business with. Ever. And not just photography related. That's a bold statement, and yet still an understatement.

Are they perfect? No. But no one is, and they do their best to make things right promptly when informed. When it came time to sell my old Bees and upgrade my gear the value of staying with PCB far exceeded their competition.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 am

If you call customer service during business hours they will answer your questions immediately or call you back the same day. If you are relying on email to get a quick answer, then don't. Call them. They have always been 100% honest and helpful with me.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 19 posts ]