Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 72 posts ] 

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:40 am

Hi all ..

I have a vagabond 2 .. only 4 months old. I plugged it in to shoot today and fired my ABR800 twice .. then BOOM !!! It took out both fuses and when I try to replace the fuses they blow instantly so have obviously left them out.

My question .. Paul, if you read this .. is I am in Australia. Will 1st Digital replace my unit or is going to have to be returned to the US for repairs .. I have already had to start post poning shoots for tomorrow and wonder how long I am going to be without my vagabond and losing money :(

I love your stuff .. recently bought the ABR800 and took it out for the first time today and didnt even get to use it :(

Tony :)

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Hmm maybe I should buy a second one for backup :P

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Site Admin

Ist Digital will replace it. That's what they're there for. Just call them.

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi Paul

Thats excellent service and one of the main reasons I bought your equipment in the first place .. the amazing reputation for service that you have.

Regards

Tony

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:15 am

You've probably been told this before, but when the smoke comes out of electronic gear it never works the same afterwards ;) ..........

Heard that at all lately ?

Cheers,

A

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 am

Haha .. yes .. very hard to put the smoke back in :P

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Mine did that a few weeks ago... Mindy took care of everything... After a year of research as to who had what in the lighting community PCB came up at the top of the list for quality, cost and customer satisfaction. I don't regret my choice.

To Paul or Luap... buy Mindy some candy would ya? I'll even give ya my debit card to help out. Great support as always from all of you.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi Viper

Yeah my sentiments exactly .. Julie and Colin in Australia have been fantastic and the service reputation was the main reason I went with PCB in the first place..

I bought a second Vagabond (which turned up this morning) just in case it happens again but in regard to my first one which blew, it would be good to get replacement inverters rather than send the whole battery back for replacement.

Paul please send Julie some inverters !!! :)

I am enjoying getting to know these lights :)

Kind regards

Tony

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:25 pm

I had a similar issue and was surprised that PCB replaced the whole unit rather than just the inverter. That must cost Luap quite a bit extra in batteries and shipping. From the customer side of things it is great. Not only did they replace the faulty inverter but I got a new battery too. That's a pretty sweet deal since a battery is essentially a consumable part with a finite life. Just another reason I love doing business with PCB! :D

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:02 pm

I agree to a degree. Not everyone is versed in electronics... Paul is and I know I am though not to the same degree as Paul is. I'm a former Navy Aviation Electronics Technician who worked AIMD repairing the actual boxes, I am now a Systems Admin. Eh... nerd... I could replace my own inverter but I think the idea behind the shipping a whole unit is this: Some can say they could, most can't. Call it a simplistic solution but frankly it is far cheaper legal wise to replace the entire unit than to have someone sue for trying to fix theirs. Just my two cents worth.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 72 posts ]