Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 72 posts ] 

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:24 pm

That's awesome news - Just what the doctor ordered!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's still waiting for E640v2/PLMv2 with a Vagabond and is seriously reconsidering switching up to the a better & lighter Lithium counterpart instead since 90% of what I like doing is on-location. Any advice for us in this boat, Cpt. Buff?

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:33 pm

Sorry, I had to re-read Paul's post again to make sure... yup, 3.3lbs, 1/2 the charging time, ?economical?... I think I just soiled myself. :o :D

Last edited by Liquid Rhino on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:09 pm

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! I've been praying you'd come out with a much lighter battery pack. I'll order one (and an AB) as soon as they come out.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:41 pm

I may need to purchase one or two

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Luap wrote:
Viper97 wrote:
I agree to a degree. Not everyone is versed in electronics... Paul is and I know I am though not to the same degree as Paul is. I'm a former Navy Aviation Electronics Technician who worked AIMD repairing the actual boxes, I am now a Systems Admin. Eh... nerd... I could replace my own inverter but I think the idea behind the shipping a whole unit is this: Some can say they could, most can't. Call it a simplistic solution but frankly it is far cheaper legal wise to replace the entire unit than to have someone sue for trying to fix theirs. Just my two cents worth.

You likely went to the same Navy schools as I did - Treasure Island in San Francisco. I went there as a Marine and was also ranked as an Aviation Radio Technician with control tower equipment specialty.

I went I think at a much later date then you Paul. I ended up at NATTC Millington, Tenn. Better known at my time as Gnat Center Mucous. Both the Marines, the Navy and at that time the Iranian Air Force (during the Shah of Iran's reign) all co-mingled in the classes. Little did we know.

With regards to the new external power supply, okay I admit while I'm not wetting my pants it does fit in well with my plans. I had intended to purchase two more Vagabonds but as usual, money takes a bit to accumulate. At my age and I'm only 55, things are needing some heavy maintenance on the test bench.

I will be ordering two more of the new ones, wait with baited breath on the PLM V2 and well, want to save for the Einsteins. Well, that's the plan in my head. Still have my two B-800's and the B-400 and I'm quite happy with them. Just that oh heck, new technology kind of grabs me.

My best regards and do get Mindy a box of candy for me or some flowers or a pat on the back. Glad your people are more than willing to enforce the customer service aspect of a business.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:36 pm

Site Admin

Liquid Rhino wrote:
That's awesome news - Just what the doctor ordered!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's still waiting for E640v2/PLMv2 with a Vagabond and is seriously reconsidering switching up to the a better & lighter Lithium counterpart instead since 90% of what I like doing is on-location. Any advice for us in this boat, Cpt. Buff?

Sorry, only Sgt. Buff. The likely best pro use will be one Vag Mini per light for fastest recycle and all day shooting. The battery instantly plugs in like a camera battery . . no wires or fiddling. Very evolved photo quality renderings and complete specs will be up on our website late next week. I issued almost a million bucks in purchase orders today so this is serious and real. Been working quietly on it for three months.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 pm

This is terrific news, and exciting! Any advance hints on pricing? wink wink, nudge nudge....

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Luap wrote:
The likely best pro use will be one Vag Mini per light for fastest recycle and all day shooting. The battery instantly plugs in like a camera battery . . no wires or fiddling. Very evolved photo quality renderings and complete specs will be up on our website late next week. I issued almost a million bucks in purchase orders today so this is serious and real. Been working quietly on it for three months.

Geez, more stuff to get! lol
For us Aussies, will a 240v mini Vag for use with 240v Einsteins and Aussie power supplies still allow powering of the 120v ABR or will we still need the Vagabond II for this?

Top Top

#

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:48 am

I got my second Vagabond delivered in record time :) and guess what .. that too is now blown the inverter ... !!!

So this means its my new ABR800 doing the damage as it was the ABR that I plugged into my first battery and just went to use my second battery for the first time today and again plugged in the ABR and BOOM ..

So now I have two unuseable Vagabonds and one faulty ABR800 !!

Oh the joys !!!! The best bit is there are no available Vagabonds in Australia .. I just got the last one :(

I am at this point turning away work coz I have no portable lighting :(

Tony

Top Top

#

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 am

Site Admin

Redback, if all you have is einstein and a ringflash, then you can go with 110V all the way around, as all of those lights can run from 110. If you have 220V bees or other products, you can geta 110V mini Vagabond for the ringflash and the other(s) in 220V

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 72 posts ]