Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 21 posts ] 

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:30 am

Site Admin

Correct. But no money is exchanged or cards charged until the product is shipped, and orders can be canceled for any reason.

This process helps us predict how many we are going to have to build, in what time period, I can say that in the three days ordering has been available we have taken a boatload of orders. Based on this, I just upped our already substantial orders of inverters and batteries today.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:15 am

Luap wrote:
Many customers are opting for one Mini per light.Costs more but eliminates wires . . . three Minis weigh half of one V2 and provide nearly times the number of shots, no sulfating problems, redundancy, greater flexibility of light placement and bullet proof reliability.

I'd tend to agree this would be an awesome way to use them, for me I'd like the lower total weight and the fact there are no wires between your light-stands, if you need to move a light, just pick up the stand and place it where-ever you want it to be.

AB

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:27 am

Technical Support wrote:
pgenovese wrote:
Question:

Is it possible to power the MINI from a 3rd party battery e.g. a car battery ?

Regards

Patrick

according to a post from Paul on FM:
Vagabond Mini can run from an SLA battery, but not nearly as efficiently as from its own Lithium. The inverter current is low enough to operate from most auto cigarette lighter sockets. Also, since the battery meter is designed for the 14.8V Lithium it will likely always show low or dead in indicating a 12V SLA battery.

pgenovese wrote:
What is the purpose of the USB port on the vagabond mini ?

Regards
Patrick

I believe it was part of the core inverter package.

Fair enough... re the warning but it is useful to be able to power off a car battery. It can give you a lot of autonomy (if you're willing to lug it around ;) ).

The USB port is a great idea... cool stuff.

Re using modelling lamps on the vagabond... I guess it should be possible to use lower wattage lamps when in the field right ?

Regards
Patrick

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 am

Site Admin

Lower wattage lamps will drain the battery less, but can still be an issue if used for significant times. We will be offering a modeling bulb for Einstein for use with the Vagabond Mini, however, you will still want to limit its use as well to prevent excessive battery drain.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:31 am

Technical Support wrote:
Lower wattage lamps will drain the battery less, but can still be an issue if used for significant times. We will be offering a modeling bulb for Einstein for use with the Vagabond Mini, however, you will still want to limit its use as well to prevent excessive battery drain.

True ... & fair enough I guess.

I have a simple idea that could assist users trying to use Einstein heads w/modelling lamps on battery packs. If this is already a feature then ... 1000 apologies.

Perhaps a future firware update could include a setting that would only keep the modelling lamp on for a short (user-defined time.. Coupled with the CC a user could turn on the modelling lamps check the setup and know thay they will turn off within x seconds.

How about using dimmable LED lamps ?

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Does anyone find this a bit odd?

Quote:
Test 3: This was a spot check using two AlienBees™ B1600 units, both set to full 640 Ws output (1280 Ws total). The recycle time was found to be about 7 seconds. No further life testing was done with this combination, and the battery life is presumed to be approximately 250 shots per charge.

One shot and no further testing, what is that all about?

I work in a hi-tech organisation in which battery technology is a signigficant part of what we do, we test up the ying yang just to make sure, and this can take months. I don't understand why you wouldn't do a significant number of tests with the AB's, which is probably what they'll be used with most.

Don't you have anyone to write test scripts?

Top Top

#

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:21 am

Site Admin

bob_defly wrote:
Does anyone find this a bit odd?

Quote:
Test 3: This was a spot check using two AlienBees™ B1600 units, both set to full 640 Ws output (1280 Ws total). The recycle time was found to be about 7 seconds. No further life testing was done with this combination, and the battery life is presumed to be approximately 250 shots per charge.

One shot and no further testing, what is that all about?

I work in a hi-tech organisation in which battery technology is a signigficant part of what we do, we test up the ying yang just to make sure, and this can take months. I don't understand why you wouldn't do a significant number of tests with the AB's, which is probably what they'll be used with most.

Don't you have anyone to write test scripts?

Don't know where your quote came from, but I find your post a bit out of line. I have done very complete battery life tests, yielding 510 shots per charge on an AB 1600 and 440 shots per charge on a single Einstein 640. I can say with authority that Vagabond Mini Lithium will do at least 250 shots per charge with two 640WS AB1600s at Full Power. We have done dozens of tests using 1, 2, 3 and 4 ABs/WLs and Einsteins, and Zeus 1250WS and 2500WS units.

I'm glad you work in a "hi tech organization" . . . I own one and don't need anyone to write test scripts at the moment.

I don't think anyone wants us to wait several months to release the product because you think we should. We (myself in particular) know exactly what the battery does.

I noticed you just joined this forum today. Did you join for the express purpose of challenging my company as you first post? That doesn't go over real well with our long established members and customers.

Top Top

#

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:06 am

Luap,
That quote is the second to last paragraph on the VB-Mini page. I have to agree that I found the "Test 3" paragraph a bit odd when I read it too but I guess that I just chalked it up to a misunderstanding between the testing folks and the web folks. Anyway, I'm sure the VB-mini is going to be awesome.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:40 pm

This is what happens when quotes are taken out of context, or the viewer fails to read all the posts. LUAP had already indicated that these units had been put through extensive testing, and there's no reason to question it any further. Perhaps it's just a misunderstanding on the part of the poster.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Site Admin

The statement was not intended to be, nor presented as, a final engineering report of all tests. It is simply to show expected numbers of shots and recycle times based on an actual tests under the same conditions to the average user. The 250 shots per charge figure is not a SWAG.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 21 posts ]