Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Hello. I am currently using cheap ebay triggers to fire my White Lightning units. While they work fine, I don't like having to lower my tripod to adjust the power of my light and then raise it again. I am looking at either the Radiopopper system or the Cyber Commander system as a means to adjust the power of my lights from the camera. Has Paul C Buff inc tested their Cyber Commander system against the Radiopopper system? I want to make sure I'm making the best choice.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Do you plan to stay with PCB equipment or mix brands?

If you plan to stay with PCB (and the Einsteins are awesome!) then go with the Cyber Command. I have it and 2 Einsteins and am amazed at what you can do from that little box.

If you plan to mix brands then you may want to consider all of your other options.

Just my 2 cents.

Fred

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Site Admin

We have played with some Radio Popper devices, and of course Paul designed the Cyber Commander. Radio Poppers limits you to 3 channels, while the Cyber Commander has 16. Radio Poppers have two transmitters, one of which (the Px) requires a master flash and uses buttons to set flash power much like setting an alarm clock (i.e. hold this button, press this other button to raise power, press both buttons to reduce power) while mounted to the speedlite, and using an LCD readout with two-charachter abbreviations. The other transmitter (which i have not used) has three analogue knobs for adjustment of flash power. Cyber Commander, for me, was more intuitive (I only had an early version manual to work with, and had to learn it on my own). The RP Px was less intuitive for me, and I had the full final manual (complicated by the cross instructions of every component available). RP does have the advantage of TTL communication with speedlites (with the appropriate components) and the ability to "hypersync/highspeed sync" (please see the sticky posts about that) with our lights. Cyber Commander has the advantage of forward compatability with future generations of Paul C. Buff lights, and tons more information than RP.

Both systems are very good, but are aimed at different audiences. CC is geared for stuio light shooters (but can be used to some degree with speedlite shooters). Radio Poppers are aimed predominantly for speedlite shooters with some studio applications.

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Thank you for your responses. Since I plan to stay with PCB equipment I'll save up for the CC system.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:12 pm

ian510 wrote:
Has Paul C Buff inc tested their Cyber Commander system against the Radiopopper system?

They are *not* compatible or interoperable for controlling power. You could tie their sync ports together to get them to fire together though.

The RP JrX Studio (what I have) is probably what you're comparing w/ the CC. It's great if you mix speedlights/studio lights on location, but there is currently no Einstein support.
The CC supports Einstein and other PCB lights, but doesn't support speedlights; works great in an indoor studio and has this cool feature where you can bump the exposure of your image w/o fiddling w/ each individual light.
There's also the Pocketwizard TT system, but it gets fairly expensive because their TX is pretty expensive, but it lets you mix PCB lights and Canikon e-i/TTL speedlights w/ their different receiver types. This also lets you use full TTL on Canikon systems while the previous two are manual remote configuration of power only.

So you really have 3 options depending on how you work...I can answer any questions you have on the JrX studio (been using it for roughly a year now)...

Top Top

#

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:57 pm

I am pretty new here but I might add one thing I have done. I don't have the funds to get too fancy and had the same concern about having to reach each light to make adjustments. I had already started with some PocketWizard gear and, for now, need to use what I have until I have funds to add or change gear. I decided that I love wireless but my lights already had to have power cables connecting them and I have those power cables come to a common area, so I got the LG4X Four-Channel Wired Remote Control and connected the telephone wires from the units to the same location as my power connections. I have the wires for the LG4X running along with my power cords and the LG4X is in the same common location as the power strip everything is connected to for power. I then connect my PW TT5 to the LG4x. I then use my camera wirelessly and can make adjustments from a nice, central location without having to reach my light units. Awesome option for me until I can afford to get fancier.

On a side note, one of my light units (purchased used) has a very sensitive slider for power on the back of the unit. Now I don't have to use that slider and the LG4X controls it completely and I have no issues with the unit doing what I want in regards to power control.

Pete

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]