Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 40 posts ] 

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:54 am

I need to get new toys and test this :)

I'm currious to what this will look like and how to deal with this. I have access to a welder ....I would mod the figners I think ...but then I would void the waranty.... and it wouldn't be shiny nice either LOL

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:05 am

Liquid Rhino wrote:
As far as your question about the tension strength goes - it's very strong. It's not that the holding fingers don't have enough tension.. you can't move them with your fingers that's for sure; they're tight"

This isn't an accurate representation. When the clamps are wide open, I agree that they won't budge. However, try removing the protective cover, then move the release such that the clamps are compressed about halfway. At this point, it's fairly easy to squeeze them with your fingers. So, the clamps would be tough as nails if (and only if) the fingers are fully extended, but rather flaky if they're half closed....which they are when a speedring is attached.

Last edited by BigIronCruiser on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 am

Iron, you're totally spot on. Guess I was fumbling trying to explain what you were mentioning in the 'extended' position. :D

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 am

thanx everyone for the description.

fyi, this is the link to the ring I will be using. Is anyone else using this ring?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... ector.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/240187-REG/Photoflex_SC_B9005PBR_Speed_Ring_Octo_Connector.html

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:56 am

FYI - TS is looking into it.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:18 am

also FYI...

Support did replace the broken dome.

NOW.....anyone one that is reading through this ... it might seam like there is bashing going on here .... BUT ... really these lights are really "FUN". Seriously... I like when my friends all smiled at how they started up LOL Fun display... powerfull and OH MY GOSH FAST...

I will be using these for a dance team for sure.... pretty excited on that.... I've always wanted a fast fast recycle time and be able to shoot fast.... You really need to shoot at 320 - 400 to cature hair flying around sometimes...LOL

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:17 pm

Site Admin

We are looking into this now. When substanative information arises, we will certainly let you know!

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Site Admin

OK, we have looked into the issue and have found variations in different speedrings will make them fit differently. We agree this needs to be addressed, and are working on making improvements. Due to the nature of these changes, it will take some time to completely correct. In the meantime, please use caution when moving/adjusting the lights with large modifiers mounted via the speedring.

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 pm

FYI- one of my domes was just loose banging around within the protective shipping cap. Reinstalled it, fired up the light and everything worked ok. I can say I was worried about bulb damage.

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Site Admin

In regards to the dome, we have addressed that issue as of Wednesday. All shipments made afterward should not be affected. Gently bending in of the retainer clips will yeild a tighter fit. Affected customers will be sent an email with specific instructions.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 40 posts ]