Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 40 posts ] 

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 pm

OmnipotentKiwi wrote:
I recently asked for some replacements for damaged equipment. With my experience they shipped me the items before I even received my shipping labels to send my items back. They definitely don't wait for you to send your stuff back, and then continue to wait until they receive it. They also pay for shipping in both directions, at no cost to you.

I understand and agree.... but Paul has shipped out a TON of pre-orders.... how do you go about swapping "again?"

DIY kit was just a suggestion to speed up the process.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:24 pm

idaband wrote:
OmnipotentKiwi wrote:
I recently asked for some replacements for damaged equipment. With my experience they shipped me the items before I even received my shipping labels to send my items back. They definitely don't wait for you to send your stuff back, and then continue to wait until they receive it. They also pay for shipping in both directions, at no cost to you.

I understand and agree.... but Paul has shipped out a TON of pre-orders.... how do you go about swapping "again?"

DIY kit was just a suggestion to speed up the process.

Well my Einsteins that I received last week were just shy of 2700 on their serial numbers. So let's just round up and say he has shipped 3,000 Einsteins. You have to remember the people posting on these forums are odds are the vocal minority. I bet the majority of people who got V1 Einsteins won't even switch/upgrade to V2, and the majority of V2 owners might not even have the V2 issues. My batch's clamps were far worse off then anything posted in this forums (that I saw), so it's logical to assume the issue ranges from not an issue to a serious problem.

I'd estimate that on average it costs about $10 per light to ship an Einstein in each direction. I'd also estimate that these cost around $340ish to manufacture (although this is just a guess).

So if the profit margin of the pre-orders are $100, eating up $20ish sucks, but works. It's also probably a lot cheaper then sending out kits, then having some people screw it up, and then taking back the lights with additional issues.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Site Admin

due to the nature of the assembly of the lights, I doubt we will have a DIY kit to solve this. Unless extenuating circumstances prevent this, we ship new product, then have the old returned when doing this domestically when this type of occurance presents itself. Internationally, we have to take different approaches, which can vary.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Tech Support,

Thanx for the info. I kinda had a feeling. (warnaty and all).

Well, just keep us updated and let us know when / if we need to contact about switching out again.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:20 pm

I just found this thread. My PCB large softbox fell off my brand new V2 Einstein twice. I had to tilt the light up a little and attach the softbox. I then pushed the latch up a little and that seems to help the fingers get a little better grip.

I almost broke my Pyrex dome when the softbox fell off. In fact it kind of scratched the top. Not a big deal as it's a tiny scratch but it scared the crap out of me.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Site Admin

Ok, we are evaluating the feasability of a temporary fix idea. We think we have a short term solution until new springs can be incorporated (should be soon) and new fingers can be made (several weeks). Once we verify this temporary solution works as expected, we will let everyone know what is going on. You should expect this info tomorrow.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 pm

So let me jump in here and ask a question. I was told by CS three weeks ago that I should get my order this week since it's been six months for my pre order. With this new development, does this mean that i will have to wait weeks or months more???

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:44 pm

Will you (probably a good idea :) ) hold off on shipping the AU orders until V2.1 ?

Thanks,

AB.

Top Top

#

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:30 am

Site Admin

Photodan wrote:
So let me jump in here and ask a question. I was told by CS three weeks ago that I should get my order this week since it's been six months for my pre order. With this new development, does this mean that I will have to wait weeks or months more???

Sorry, I am in the middle of evaluating our solutions, so i am somewhat out of contact with customer service right now (I am in a different building today). Contacting PCB Austrailia will likely get you a more definitive answer faster than I can.

However, this subject is discussed here:http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=959

Top Top

#

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 pm

just read on a cross thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=962#p6288

soo..
Question 1... temp fix is going to be sent only apon request or to everyone with v2s?

Question 2... Did they determine how the new v2.1 will be replaced? Will we also have to contact support?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 40 posts ]