Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 40 posts ] 

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Here's an easy Rube Goldberg temporary fix for loose clamps. Yea, it's ugly, but the softbox falls right off without the rubber band(s).

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Site Admin

Sick to have to do this. We are increasing the spring tension and I have just reshaped the fingers for better grip and fit to various accessories. Problem is different vendors have gotten sloppy with the exact shape and depth of the mounting flange.

Also having new spring clips made to hold the domes. Doing a bending operation now in production until we get new parts and the domes seem to be doing OK now. The design was OK but they were not heat tempered as much as specified.

My softboxes and PLMV2s hold solid, but apparently the variations are causing some problems for some users. The worst fit seems to be the 22HOBD flange.

Top Top

#

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Luap wrote:
Sick to have to do this. We are increasing the spring tension and I have just reshaped the fingers for better grip and fit to various accessories. Problem is different vendors have gotten sloppy with the exact shape and depth of the mounting flange.

Also having new spring clips made to hold the domes. Doing a bending operation now in production until we get new parts and the domes seem to be doing OK now. The design was OK but they were not heat tempered as much as specified.

My softboxes and PLMV2s hold solid, but apparently the variations are causing some problems for some users. The worst fit seems to be the 22HOBD flange.

I hate to even ask, but does this mean there will be a "V3"? It figures, I just got my second pre-order shipped late last week to use with my white HOBD. At least I still have my original V1's that I could use instead.

Top Top

#

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Site Admin

While modifications will be made, it will not be enough of a change to warrant "V3" status. Longer fingers and stronger spring should be all that is needed to fix this. Anyone needing an update will certainly get one.

Top Top

#

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Luap wrote:

Is this a fix that is happening immediately or is it something that there will be a delay for? I just notified on Friday that I needed 4 replacement Einsteins (3 for a slightly more annoying/serious version of the spring tension problem, and 1 was basically DOA), and I am curious if the Einsteins shipping out sometime next week would have the fix or not.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 am

Me too.

But, the box was crunched at the top end above the cords. the box rattled, but it was hard to tell what that might be. the protective cover was in good shape, only the frosted dome was broken. the UPS man kind of ran off. Packing seemed to be very good so it is hard to tell if the box crunch and the broken dome are related. it could be that tossing these things around (though marked FRAGILE in big letters) in shipping does it.

A quick call to customer service gave me confidence that a replacement dome was on its way - and I got the notice of shipping last night.

testing other features everything seemed fine. I will look to see if any of the mounts are tweaked. The bulbs are both fine and on a test basis did everything I wanted.

My V1 came fine several months ago - no issues. and, with all the stuff I have received from pcb in the last 6 months, this was the first issue. But, again, customer service was great.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:46 am

Site Admin

OmnipotentKiwi wrote:
Is this a fix that is happening immediately or is it something that there will be a delay for?

We are working on time frames right now. We are working immediately on correcting this as much as possible, however a full resolution will take some time due to how long it takes to have new parts made.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm with everyone on the confusion here?

Paul, Can you you maybe send out a "kit" to let us change out the spring tension and fingers?

I mean send out a kit once you know for sure how to adjust the lights.

I just got my V2's. I hate to have to send them back. I understand it cost a LOT of money for both us photographers and YOU the manufatures to have to send stuff back and forth and replace out parts.

A DYI kit could save YOU money and US time. I don't want too much down time without a good set of lights....

I will keep my ears posted to the forum. I'll hope to see maybe a sticky in the future on this one too.

Paul.... just so you know ... the lights do ROCK though. Some other local photographers in my area were so impressed they want to order when your out of back order and into normal order times.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:01 pm

I'll second that I'd be happy swapping them out myself it's something that a person capable of using a screwdriver can do. I'd rather do that then have to box them up, ship them out, then wait for a replacement to show up [x] days later. I'd especially prefer that method if it meant getting the updated design quicker.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:03 pm

I recently asked for some replacements for damaged equipment. With my experience they shipped me the items before I even received my shipping labels to send my items back. They definitely don't wait for you to send your stuff back, and then continue to wait until they receive it. They also pay for shipping in both directions, at no cost to you.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 40 posts ]